How To Make Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 TBS butter melted
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 TBS milk
Make the Pumpkin Donuts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 6-well standard donut pan, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, sea salt) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin and melted butter until smooth and combined.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add brown sugar and stir until it’s completely combined and dissolved into the batter.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until everything is combined and the batter is homogenous (uniform throughout).
- Transfer batter from the mixing bowl into a quart Ziploc bag or piping bag. If using a plastic bag, cut off one tip of the bag.
- Pipe batter into the wells of the donut pan.
- Use your finger to smooth out any air pockets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched and are slightly golden brown.
- Let sit in the donut pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Add 2 TBS milk and stir to combine.
- The mixture should be firm but flowy (easily poured with a spoon but not liquidy).
- If necessary, add more milk ½ tsp at a time (a little goes a long way).
Glaze the donuts:
- Once the pumpkin donuts are completely cooled, apply the glaze in one of two ways:
- 1) Dip the tops of the donuts in the bowl filled with glaze and then set on a wire cooling rack to harden.
- 2) Use a spoon and scoop the glaze onto the donuts. Let sit on the wire cooling rack to harden.
- Let the glazed pumpkin donuts sit at room temperature or in the refrigerator until glaze is hardened, then enjoy!