How To Make Beef with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- 3 1/2 - 4 lb beef chuck fat trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 pieces
- 2 large carrots peeled, cut into 2/3 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions peeled, cut in half and sliced into half rings
- 20 medium sized button mushrooms wiped clean with a wet paper towel, cut in half
- 5-6 garlic cloves peeled, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 tsp black ground pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt reduce to 3/4 Tbsp for table salt
- 1/2 cup red or white wine Optional
- 3-4 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnish
- Toss beef chuck with 5-6 pressed garlic cloves, 1 ½ tsp black pepper, salt, paprika, and 3 tbsp olive oil until the meat is evenly coated. Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish and add carrot pieces in between the meat pieces. Top with the 2-3 bay leaves. Cover with foil and bake for 1.5 hours at 350°F or until the meat pieces are tender and almost fall apart.
- Meanwhile, saute 2 medium onion with a couple of tablespoons oil in over medium heat until golden in color. When done, tilt the skillet and allow the oil to pool at the bottom, while you remove the onion to a separate dish.
- To the same skillet add 20 mushrooms, cut side down. Over high heat sear the mushrooms on both sides. Then, sprinkle with 1 tbsp kosher salt, cover with the lid and continue cooking for about 5-10 minutes, tossing from time to time.
- Once the beef is soft and easily pierced with a fork, remove the foil, sprinkle with caramelized onions and the mushrooms and bake for another 15 minutes to allow the mushrooms to heat through. This is when you can add 1/2 cup of red or white wine to the baking dish to enhance flavor.
- Now gently mix everything together, sprinkle with parsley and serve.