How To Make Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe from Scratch
- 3 large eggs
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- ½ cup salted butter chilled, and cut into 1 inch pieces**
- ¼ cup ice cold water
Make the pie Crust:
- Place the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor fitted with an “S” blade and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and cold water and process until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, begins to stick together, and holds together when pinched.
- Remove dough from processor (will be crumbly) and form into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or overnight
Make the filling:
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, cream and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add sugar, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice and mix until completely combined.
Putting it together
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a pie plate and set aside.
- Roll out your pie dough on a well-floured surface (pastry cloth) to fit the size of your pie plate.
- Carefully transfer the dough to the pie plate and shape the crust how you want it to look.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust and cover the crust with a pastry shield
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. It may be a bit wobbly still, but it will firm-up as it cools.
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours (Be patient! This is important). Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Notes on ingredient substitutions:
- All-purpose flour: Gluten-free purpose flour can be used in a 1:1 ratio to make this pie! You can also use a store bought crust.
- Heavy Cream. There are many possible substitutions for heavy cream! I have used half & half for a dairy-full variation.
- Brown Sugar: Light or dark brown sugar can be used in this recipe! Coconut sugar is a great refined-sugar free alternative!
How to make homemade pumpkin pureeTo make your own pumpkin puree you will need 2 pie pumpkins. Follow these instructions:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Cut pumpkins in half and remove the pulp and seeds.
- Place pumpkins facedown in a baking dish, dutch oven or on a sheet pan with edges.
- Pour water into the bottom of the baking dish to cover about 1/4" of the bottom of the pumpkins.
- Cover, either with a lid (as in a dutch oven) or with aluminum foil.
- Roast for 60 minutes, or until the shell of the pumpkin depresses downward when pushed.
- Let pumpkins cool, then peel the shell off of the pumpkin.
- Blend the pumpkin flesh in a blender or process in a food processor until smooth. Then use in your baking!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice (1 TBS)Stir the following spices together and use 2 tsp of this in the recipe in place of the pumpkin pie spice!
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp allspice