How To Make Best Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
Snickerdoodle cookie dough:
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup salted butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
Cinnamon sugar coating:
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Make the cinnamon sugar coating:
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 TBS sugar and 1 ½ tsp cinnamon. Set aside.
Make the Snickerdoodle cookie dough:
- Sift flour into a medium bowl.
- Add cinnamon, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, shortening and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer).
- Add egg and vanilla and beat again until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Use a 2 TBS cookie scoop to measure dough, then roll it into balls.
- Roll each dough ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture until it’s evenly coated.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet, either ungreased or lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until puffed and mostly set, but still soft.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool!
- You can freeze the baked snickerdoodle cookies or the snickerdoodle dough in an airtight container for up to one month.
- If you will be freezing the dough, I recommend scooping it into balls and rolling them until they are smooth. Roll in cinnamon sugar and freeze the dough balls in an airtight container. To bake, remove from the freezer and wait for the cookie dough to come to room temperature.