How To Make Blueberry Pie Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter chilled, and cut into 1” pieces
- ½ cup ice water
Blueberry Pie Filling:
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup instant tapioca (or tapioca starch/flour)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ to 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 TBS milk
Make the crust:
- Cut butter into ½“ cubes and place the in the freezer.
- Put dry crust ingredients in a food processor fitted with an “S” blade and pulse to combine.
- Add butter and water and pulse until the dough just holds together when pinched. If necessary, add more water. Do not process more than 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly-floured work surface and gather into a ball.
- Divide the dough in half, flattening each half into a flat circle, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to overnight.
- After dough has chilled: Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 4-5 minutes until it’s soft enough to roll.
- Place ½ of the dough on well-floured surface or pastry cloth and roll into a circle that is the size of your pie dish.
- Carefully put the dough into the pie plate and store covered in fridge until ready to use.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and form into your desired top shape (lattice, cookie cutter shapes, etc). Place dough in the fridge while you make the blueberry filling.
Make the Blueberry Filling
- Preheat the oven to 400*F.
- Place blueberries in a large mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla to the blueberries and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl mix together sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the blueberries and gently stir until it’s evenly distributed.
- Pour the blueberry filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Top the filling with your desired pie crust shapes/design.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and cream and lightly brush the pie crust with the mixture.
Bake the pie!
- Cover the outer rim of the pie crust with a pie crust shield, or a piece of aluminum foil cut in the shape of the crust.
- Bake the pie in the lower third of your oven for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake the pie for about 40 – 50 more minutes or until the crust is a deep golden brown color and the juices are bubbling and thick. If necessary, remove the pie crust shield/foil in the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
- If the top of the pie begins to brown too quickly before the filling bubbles, cover the entire pie with a loosely fitting tent of aluminum foil.
- Place the pie on a wire rack to cool for at least three hours. Serve at room temperature! Or alternately, put the pie in the refrigerator overnight and serve cold.
How to make blueberry pie filling with frozen blueberries:There are two ways to do this:
- Simply use frozen blueberries in place of fresh, without adjusting the recipe at all. It works perfectly!
- Allow the blueberries to thaw slightly for 30-60 minutes, and drain any excess water. Then proceed with the recipe as written. I prefer this method because it ensures the other blueberry pie filling ingredients won't freeze when they're combined.
- Butter (crust). To make this recipe dairy-free or vegan substitute vegan butter spread (like Earth's Balance) or Ghee.
- All-purpose flour (crust). To make this pie gluten-free, substitute an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend that is made to be a 1:1 substitute for regular flour!
- Instant tapioca. tapioca flour/starch, arrowroot powder cornstarch or flour also work well in this recipe!