How To Make Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium head green cabbage chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
- Brown ground beef. When the ground beef is about halfway browned add the onion; cook until the beef is fully browned. Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Drain any excess fat from the skillet.
- Add paprika, onion powder, cayenne, brown sugar, tomato sauce, beef broth and rice. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Turn to simmer and cover with lid. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 of the chopped cabbage and cook until slightly tender; 5-7 minutes. Spread cabbage over the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with 1/2 of the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheeses; blending them. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the other 1/2 of the chopped cabbage and cook until slightly tender; 5-7 minutes. Spread the cabbage over the cheese in the casserole dish. Top with the other 1/2 of the beef mixture and then with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.