- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and ground beef. Cook, breaking the meat into small pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes. Cook and stir until liquid is evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes more. Add garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, Italian seasoning, and bay leaves.
- Cook and stir until flavors come together, about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and marinara sauce. Rinse out the jar with 1 cup water and pour into the pot. Add soy sauce, stir, and bring soup to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer to let flavors intensify, about 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a simmer. Add macaroni; simmer, stirring occasionally, until just barely tender, about 12 minutes. Check for doneness after 10 minutes.
- Remove goulash from heat. Discard bay leaves; stir in parsley and Cheddar cheese. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Taste and season as desired.
Source : allrecipes.com