- 3 pounds fresh freestone peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 1 tiny pinch salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pastry for a 10-inch double crust pie
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon white sugar, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir peaches, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Strain accumulated juices into a saucepan and return strained peaches to bowl.
- Bring juices in saucepan to a boil; reduce heat to medium-high, and cook until mixture thickens to a syrup, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and cornstarch together in a bowl. Stir lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon into peaches; add flour mixture and toss to coat. Pour peach syrup over peach mixture and stir.
- Roll out half the pastry to fit a 10-inch pie plate. Place bottom crust in pie plate. Pour peach filling into pie shell, tap pie plate against a surface to settle filling, and dot with butter.
- Roll remaining crust into an 11-inch circle and cut into 1-inch strips using a paring knife or pastry wheel.
- Lay 5 strips of pie crust over the top of the pie. Weave remaining pastry dough strips through to form a lattice top. Fold the ends of the lattice strips under the bottom crust and crimp the crust. Brush cream over the top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and bubbling, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
Source : allrecipes.com