- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups + 3 tablespoons raw hazelnuts
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (52g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (42g) coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic dairy-free dark chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax egg, set aside.
- Place 2 cups hazelnuts on cookie sheet in one even layer. Roast for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before using a clean kitchen towel to rub skins off hazelnuts. Once a good amount of skins have been removed, transfer hazelnuts into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse food processor until hazelnuts resemble a fine meal. Stop and remove 3/4 cup of the meal. Put lid back on and continue to process, scraping down sides when needed, until meal turns into a smooth butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup hazelnut butter, maple syrup, and flax egg together. Add 3/4 cup hazelnut flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir until fully combined. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. The cookie dough will be sticky, so spray your hands with cooking spray, then using a tablespoon, scoop cookie dough and gently roll into a loose ball with your hands. Place in even rows on cookie sheet.Wet a fork with water and press down slightly on top of ball. Rewet your fork each time. This is not to get a tines marking on your cookies, rather, it is to ensure they spread into a more even circle during baking.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and wait a minute or two before transferring cookies to a wire rack.
- While cookies are cooling, chop remaining 3 tablespoons of hazelnuts. Set aside.Place remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a small microwavable bowl. Heat at 30 second intervals until most of the chocolate chips have melted, stirring after each interval.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over cooled cookies and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Drizzle a little extra chocolate over nuts if desired. Allow to set, or place in refrigerator to set chocolate faster.
- Store in an airtight container.