How To Make Garlic Parmesan Mac And Cheese
- 1 pound (500 grams) dry weight pasta, (elbow, macaroni, cellentani, or any other pasta)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup flour, all purpose or plain
- 4 1/2 cups milk, divided (I used skim, but 2% or full fat are fine to use)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, or corn flour
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder, or a vegetable stock powder
- 3/4 cup low fat grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 ounces low fat mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Boil pasta in salted water, according to packet instructions, until JUST al dente (do not over-boil)! Drain and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven grill or broiler to 190°C | 375°F.
FOR CRISPY TOPPING:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, oven proof pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the Panko breadcrumbs; stir to coat and cook until golden browned. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Melt the 1/4 cup of butter in the same pan / skillet. Add the garlic and sauté until just fragrant (about 1 minute). Whisk in the flour; continue to cook while whisking (or stirring) for at least 2 minutes. Reduce heat down to low; gradually whisk in 4 cups of the milk (about 1/4 cup at a time), whisking between each addition to combine. Bring to a boil until beginning to thicken.
- In a separate jug, combine the cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup milk; whisk until lump free and stir through the white sauce to thicken completely. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the bouillon powder.
- Remove from heat and add in the cheddar, 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese, and the mozzarella slices. Stir through until all of the cheese has melted. Toss the pasta through the sauce until completely coated.
- Top with the Panko and the remaining parmesan cheese. Broil (or grill) in oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Allow to cool down slightly before serving.