- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped spinach
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions (green part only)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fenugreek leaves
- 1 1/2 cups water, or more as needed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 dried Persian limes (limoo amani), or more to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until deep golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in turmeric for 1 to 2 minutes. Add chuck cubes; cook until coated in turmeric and browned on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a separate pot over medium heat. Add spinach, green onions, parsley, cilantro, chives, and fenugreek leaves; cook and stir until deep dark green in color, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir spinach mixture into the onion and chuck mixture. Pour in enough water to create a slurry consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in lemon juice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer stew until greens soften, about 1 hour.
- Pierce dried limes with a fork and add to the stew. Continue simmering until chuck is tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Stir in red kidney beans. Cook until flavors combine, about 30 minutes. Discard dried limes before serving.
Source : allrecipes.com