- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup apples – peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Beat shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and blend thoroughly.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Stir half the dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, apple and raisins, then stir in remaining half of dry ingredients and milk. Mix well.
- Drop from tablespoon 1 1/2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies to racks and while still warm, spread with glaze.
- To make Glaze: Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and enough cream to make glaze of spreading consistency. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cookies.
Source : allrecipes.com