How To Make Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 Lb Dried Navy Beans
- 3 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 White Onion, (chopped)
- 4 Carrots, (chopped)
- 2 Celery Stalks, (sliced)
- 5 Garlic Cloves, (finely chopped)
- 64 ounces Chicken Stock
- 14.5 ounce Can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Italian Herbs
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 2 Cups Shredded Green Cabbage
- 2-3 Cups Chopped Ham
- Salt - to taste (if needed)
- Rinse dried beans then cover with several inches of water. Soak beans over night then rinse again.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven pot over high heat. Saute onion, carrots and celery 4-5 minutes while stirring. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds.
- Add beans, chicken stock, tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic powder, Italian herbs and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook for 90 minutes. Check consistency of beans. If the beans are still quite firm, cook for 30 minutes longer.
- Remove lid and add ham and cabbage. Cook for 15-20 more minutes. Salt to taste (This will vary depending on the saltiness of the ham. The soup may not even need salt.) Discard bay leaf and serve.