- cooking spray (such as Pam(R))
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 Roma tomatoes, chopped, divided
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, or to taste
- seasoned pepper to taste
- 4 large green bell peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook ground sirloin and sausage in a skillet over medium-low heat until browned and crumbly, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Mix in 3/4 the tomatoes, onion, butter, garlic, oregano, fennel seed, and seasoned pepper. Simmer over low heat until meat mixture comes together, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fill bell peppers with meat mixture, alternating with layers of feta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Place stuffed bell peppers side-by-side in the prepared casserole dish; add remaining tomatoes around and under the peppers so they cook up and into the peppers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Source : allrecipes.com