- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Nutella about 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 350F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cream the soft butter and sugar on medium high in a stand mixer for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary. This step is important because it will incorporate air into the dough to help the cookies rise. Beat in the extracts.
- Add the flours and mix until the dough starts to come together. Be sure to scrape down the sides to get all the butter incorporated.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and bring the dough together with your hands, kneading into a soft dough.
- Use a small 1 1/4 inch cookie scoop to scoop out small amounts of dough and place them on the cookie sheet. Put the whole pan in the freezer until hard, about 30 minutes.
- Bake the the frozen dough balls on parchment lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart, until they are risen and dry on top and just barely beginning to turn golden around the edges, about 12-14 minutes. Don't wait until they are brown or they will be over baked. The size of your cookies will determine the baking time, so do a test cookie or two to figure that out. Let cool on a rack before filling.
- Let cookies cool for a few minutes on the pan before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- To fill the completely cooled cookies, put a dollop of Nutella on the flat side of one cookie, and top with another.