- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 eggs, separated, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 (9 inch) baked pastry shell
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in pineapple and juice until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl and gradually stir in 1 cup of hot filling. Add to the mixture in the saucepan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and keep warm.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar for meringue in a bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 6 tablespoons sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Pour hot filling into the pastry shell. Spread meringue over the filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until meringue is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting.
Source : allrecipes.com