This Strawberry Shortcake Roulade is the quintessential summer dessert. Cake rolls are always stunning but this one is particularly so. Light and airy cake wrapped around a sweet whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling. Irresistible!
How To Make Strawberry Shortcake Roulade
- 5 egg yolks room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting
- 1 pound strawberries washed, hulled, sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 12X17 rimmed baking sheet and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, oil, milk, vanilla extract, two-thirds cup of sugar, and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites on med-high until soft peaks form (1 to 2 minutes). Add the remaining one-third cup of sugar and continue beating on med-high speed until stiff peaks form (another 1 to 2 minutes).
- Fold egg whites into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the top of the cake is light brown. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread onto the cooled cake leaving a one inch border around the edges.
- In a small bowl combine the strawberries, one tablespoon of sugar and lemon zest.
- Scatter strawberries over the top of the whipped cream.
- Starting at the short end, roll up the cake, letting the parchment fall away as you roll.
- Place the cake seam side down.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.